Sunday I got up and made breakfast. Then went to a service for a little baby who was stillborn (which was hear twrenching). I then took the kids shopping for a few new clothes since it is getting cooler in the mornings. Then I took Wallis grocery shopping. I next came home and got ready to go do photos for our Christmas cards. We spent a couple hours on photos at the park. We stopped at Whole Foods. When I sat down at 6:15, I realized it was the first time had sat down for more than a two minute stop between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. So.very.tired.
Wednesday I went to pick up Wyatt from school to get his flu shot. He somehow ran past the office and out the front door of the school looking for me. He was buzzed back in but had become very scared and started crying even though he found me within a minute. Poor guy. Wyatt also got his very first report card that day. AISD uses a 1-4 scale. There are separate sections for academic skills and another for social and developmental skills. Wyatt got a 3 in english/language arts and music but 4s in all his other academic grades, which I thought was good. He has made crazy fast progress in reading and writing, but I think many kids were more advanced than him to begin. He loves being read to, but it was very hard to get him interested in learning to read himself. He only received 3s in his social/behavorial skills, which honesty irritated me a bit. I mean, the kid can sew and only got a 3 in fine motor skills. And how many little boys are actually better behaved in class than he is? Some, I guess. Ross told me to get off my momma-bear high horse and cut the teacher some slack. She most certainly has her work cut out teaching 19 kids with extremely different skill levels. And, of course, he's right. But all his preschool teachers LOVED Wyatt and also said he was perfect, so I was a little defensive about this perhaps more honest appraisal. All in all, he's doing really well and very happy. Even with homework every night now. He's made a huge leap from a very unstructured program to a pretty intense school program and he's complained very little. That's a 4 in my book!
Speaking of reading, I have been reading chapter books to Wyatt, much to his delight. We first read the Borrowers, which we loved. Then we read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. At first Wyatt didn't think it could possibly rival the Borrowers. Then he couldn't get enough. We were staying up a little too late reading more and more. We finished it on Thursday and Wyatt was begging for his next book. Our little Amazon habit was getting expensive among the four of us, so I decided we should head to the library. This morning Wyatt, Wallis, and I walked into the library that looked much as I remebered it 20 years ago when I used to sit for hours working on my projects in high school. They do have dvds now, which was cool, but the problem with the library was the same problem I have with the used book store: you can't just go get what you want. It's checked out. We found some books, though. Wyatt got his very first library card. Wallis won't be going back for a good long time--she left the library screaming at the top of her lungs. Then she quit crying and said, "Mommy I go back to the libary? I was nice?" Is she kidding? After the library was Wyatt's last swim lesson, then his best buddy's birthday party at the park, then a Halloween party. We put him to bed at 7:30 (after reading one chapter of the Magician's Nephew). Crashed out. Wallis too, she didn't even try to get me to release her from the crib by yelling,"Mommy, my tummy hurts [you're fine, Wallis], I'm FREEZING! [you're not, you have a blanket on], my RASH, I have a rash!" That one is a character.
| She told him this week, "Wy, wy, I like you." He replied, "Well, I LOVE you, Wallis." These two are amazingly rewarding little babies. |
No comments:
Post a Comment